Thursday, November 8, 2012

Martins thrilled goalscoring Levante form has earned Nigeria return

EXCLUSIVEBy Olanrewaju Ayodele
Levante forward Obafemi Martins has expressed his joy at being selected for the Nigeria squad again ahead of the upcoming friendly with Venezuela.
Four goals in the space of six La Liga league games this season has seen him earn a return to the Super Eagles set-up, having been left out of international selection for over a year due to poor form with Rubin Kazan.
Martins insists he is raring to go in their friendly on November 14 and looked ahead to the African Cup of Nations at the start of 2013, which has seen them drawn in Group C with Ethiopia, Burkina Faso and holders Zambia.
"I’m fully ready and I can’t wait to be part of the team," the attacker told Goal.com. "[The] Eagles [are] my first home.
"We will shock Zambia, they won the last Nations Cup, but Nigeria weren’t there. For Ethiopia and Burkina Faso, we shouldn’t underrate them at all. But I know Eagles will soon rule African football under [head coach Stephen] Keshi."
Martins revealed his time in Russia was fraught with difficulties and blamed his lack of goals on being played out of position, but the 28-year-old is thankful for another chance with the Nigerian team.
"It was hectic playing in Kazan, Russia," the ex-Newcastle and Birmingham City striker continued.
"I didn’t enjoy my playing time at the club due to some problems. The coach playing me in a wrong role, but everyone can see now that if you give me a starting role in the right position I will score.
"I’m happy to be back in the Eagles and I appreciate Keshi for giving me this opportunity and I promise I won’t let my fans down.
"I’m really thankful, what happened in Rubin Kazan, it’s an episode of my life I don’t want to go back to anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts